Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep time: 10 mins
Total time: 30 mins
1 lb penne pasta
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 scallions (green onions), diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups heavy cream
13 oz andouille or smoked sausage (I use turkey kielbasa), sliced into ½ in thick circles
4 oz Monterey jack cheese, grated
4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
- In a large pot, boil penne noodles according to box instructions. Strain and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat up 1 tbsp oil. Brown sausages in oil on both sides. Remove sausage from pot when browned.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in pot. Add bell peppers, onion, and garlic and cook until slightly soft, for about 5 minutes.
- Add in heavy cream and bring to a light boil (do this over medium-high heat and be sure to NOT let the cream scald in the pan). Add in Monterey jack, cheddar, and ¼ of Parmesan cheese. Whisk until cheese is melted and incorporated into the cream.
- Bring heat down to medium-low. Season sauce with Cajun seasoning and allow sauce to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add noodles and sausage back to the pot and stir until coated in sauce. Add in remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese and stir.
- After adding remaining Parmesan, you should notice the sauce has thickened. Serve immediately.
- Chicken, shrimp, and even steak are other proteins that work very well with this dish.
- I used a low sodium Cajun seasoning in this dish, hence why I used so much. I would suggest adding in 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning and tasting before adding another.
- You can make this dish even more tasty by boiling your noodles in chicken broth or stock.
- For a less rich sauce, use half and half or whole milk in place of the heavy cream.
- Pepper jack as a substitution (or addition) to the cheeses listed will result in a spicier pasta!