Jalapeno Popper Egg Roll
Yield: 15 egg rolls
Prep time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
1 lb cooked Italian sausage (I use turkey Italian sausage)
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
10 jalapenos (flesh removed), diced
2 green onions (scallions), finely diced
1 tbsp water
Egg roll wrappers
Oil for frying
- Heat about 2 inches of oil in a pan (you can also fry in a deep fryer. If using a deep fryer, heat oil to 350 degrees)
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sausage, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, jalapenos, and green onions.
- Beat the egg and water together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Wrap* your filling in the egg roll wrappers until you are out of filling (will make about 15-20 egg rolls, depending on how much filling you use). Use the egg mixture to seal your egg rolls together.
- In small batches (4-5 at a time), fry your egg rolls for about 2-3 minutes per side. If using a deep fryer, fry for 4-5 minutes. The egg rolls should be golden brown when fried well.
- Remove from oil and let drain on a wire rack or paper towel. Serve (almost) immediately.
- Wrapping an egg roll:
- position your wrapper in a diamond shape, then place your filling towards the middle of the wrapper (not directly centered. I like to put my filling slightly below center, so the bottom and side wrappers can cover the filling).
- Fold the bottom of the wrapper up over the filling, then fold over both sides. Make sure your side pieces are aligned as straight as possible.
- Begin rolling the filling and wrapper upward. Make sure you keep the wrapping tight but aren’t pulling in a way where you may tear the wrapping.
- Before closing the wrapping, rub some of the egg mixture onto the seal and close up the wrapper. You can also rub some of the egg mixture on the outside of the wrapper.
- This recipe uses egg roll wrappers because they are thicker and hold more filling inside. You can also substitute them for spring roll wrappers, which are thinner and crispier when fried. Cooking with spring roll wrappers will make a great party appetizer.
- I personally like to use Italian sausage in my jalapeno poppers. Bacon can be used as well, but meat can be omitted entirely.
- For a spicier egg roll, do not remove the flesh of the jalapenos when dicing.
- Water can also be used to bind egg rolls.